Society for Psychophysiological Research Travel Award
The goal of the SPR Travel Awards is to recognize student researchers who represent the next generation of psychophysiological scholars by supporting their ability to participate in the
Society’s Annual Meeting. The SPR Travel Awards specifically aim to assist predoctoral student members who would not be able to attend the meeting without funding from the Travel Awards program. As such, we attend to resources provided by your graduate institution, laboratory of training, and a desire to include research areas that are not widely represented at SPR. We seek to make awards to trainees who will develop a strong commitment to SPR and envision themselves contributing to the Society in their future careers.
Support for Applicants from Diverse Backgrounds
While the program is open to all predoctoral students, we are committed to supporting students traditionally underrepresented in academic contexts, which can include dimensions such as race, ethnicity, gender, socioeconomic status, first generation status, and nationality. Each year a designated number of awards will be allotted to those from such underrepresented backgrounds.
Up to 20 awards will be made each year, 10 from the same continent as the meeting location and 10 from continents other than that of the meeting location. The award package includes :
Recognition at the Saturday business lunch
|Waived conference registration for attendance at the meeting this fall
|Waived registration fee for the Saturday business luncheon ($10) and the WISE or Diversity & Outreach Luncheon ($10)
|Funds to defray additional travel costs. This will be $400 for those traveling from the same continent as the meeting location and $800 for those traveling from a different continent.
|| $400 same continent $800 different continent
|Waived conference registration for one additional meeting during the two years following this meeting (e.g., if awarded for 2019 meeting, free registration for either the 2020 or 2021 meeting, regardless of student status). This is currently $195 for student member registration. However if you have graduated prior to this additional meeting the Full Member registration will be covered (currently $390).
|| Total amount:
~$800 same continent
~$1200 different continent
- Must be a student member of SPR by the time of the meeting
- Awardees must not yet have a Ph.D. or other doctoral level degree at the time of the meeting (e.g., be a current PhD student, undergraduate student or postbaccalaureate researcher).
- Awardees must demonstrate a commitment to a career in psychophysiology.
- Awards are dedicated to support students who would not otherwise be able to attend. Applicants with sufficient funds provided by their institution or research lab are encouraged to apply for the poster award. Applicants for the travel award will be required to provide a statement of expected costs and how much is covered by other sources. This will need to be verified with their advisor.
- Awardees are expected to attend the entire meeting and be present for the business lunch and the WISE or Diversity & Outreach Luncheon.
- Awardees who are unable to attend the full SPR meeting will forfeit the award.
- Awardees will be limited to one SPR Travel Award during their predoctoral training.
How to Apply
Applicants will be chosen primarily based on need and stated commitment to SPR and psychophysiology, as described in the required statement.
To apply, please submit the following by May 15, 2019:
- Completed online form (at the end of this webpage), providing information about your institution and demographics
- Current CV
- A 500 word or less statement of:
- Career goals, including planned use of psychophysiology in your work
- Reason for wanting to attend the SPR meeting and how attendance at the meeting and ongoing membership in SPR will facilitate your career goals
- A statement of your financial need, and detailed breakdown of cost of attending SPR and available support from other sources (with a signature from advisor).
A certain number of travel awards each year will be allotted for members of under-represented groups. If you would like to be considered for a travel award in this category, please include a brief statement (~100 words) of your status as a member of a group that is under-represented in psychophysiology. Please provide a snapshot of how attending SPR can help promote your career goals.
Documentation from the advisor about what other funds are available to you, to cover expenses for travel and lodging associated with attendance at the meeting. Please upload this signed documentation in the online submission form at the bottom of this webpage.
Applications will be reviewed by the Education and Training Committee, with representation from the Diversity and Outreach Committee.
Applicants will be notified by July 1
Applicants selected for an award must confirm by July 15 that they will attend the meeting. If you are selected but unable to attend we will offer the award to another student.